Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Mural Construction

November 20th - Mural Construction 

At this point, you might be wondering how we're going to make the mural. Let me tell you.

We need: 
  • Lots of 4'x8' plywood panels
  • White primer
  • White paint
  • Silica sand (which is toxic, ergo the face masks)
  • Goggles
  • Gloves
  • Face masks
  • Roller brushes
  • Buckets
  • Will power and team work! 
Before we got to work, my mom and dad, Fred, Leo, Leticia, and I all sat down for a delicious home-cooked meal at Leo's house. I couldn't believe I got to eat in the presence of such a renowned artist! 







After the meal...

4'x8' Plywood Panels

Roller brushes

Silica Sand. Be careful not to breathe this in!

White primer 




Artist Fred Banks and Leticia paint the panels with a base coat. 

Then they layer the panels with silica sand. 

Then the panels are lifted so that the sand runs down the side, covering the whole surface. 

Leo uses a table saw to cut out the fire bird. This is the symbol of hope at the end of the mural. Leticia argued over whether it should be a chicken or a Dodo bird. In the end, a Phoenix won the majority vote. It beats me as to why. 

I was so excited to finally get the panels prepped! 

I scrapped the extra paint that dripped off the sides of the panel. 

Moms are the best. Thanks so much for your help! 
Leticia saws the bird's fire-wings as her dad gives her advice. 


 Next step: holding a meeting to brainstorm ideas for the mural! Stay tuned! 


No comments:

Post a Comment